Designed for the Czechoslovak Army, and designated Lehkýtank vzor 35 (Light Tank Model 35). when the Germans took over in 1938, the tank was re-designated Panzer 35t, and used extensively in the Poland, the French campaign and operation Barbarossa until the end of 1941, when shortage of spare parts led to them being withdrawn from front line service. Romania used the tank also, under the designation of the R2. They were also used by Bulgaria and Hungary. A Total of nearly 500 were built before production stopped in 1940.