The Cromwell IV combined speed and reasonable armour to make it one of the better British tank designs of World War 2. The genesis of development started in 1940. As the tank was developed major concerns were raised over the initial plan to arm it with the 6 pounder main gun. Eventually the sensible decision to opt for a 75mm main gun was agreed, and the tank entered service in June 1944. Nearly 2000 of this model were produced and provided good service in the British armoured formations.